Thursday, May 1, 2014

Power Pack #35 (Fall of the Mutants)


Power Pack #35 (February 1988)
Rating:  ★☆★☆
Life or Death!
Writer:  Louise Simonson
Artist:  Jon Bogdanove
Inker:  Hilary Barta

Okay, so I'm going to try something a little different.  I really want to get two of these out each week, but I'm noticing that putting in an entire play by play of the issue just takes up too much of my time.  So I'll try an abbreviated synopsis.  If anybody is reading this and would prefer the longer version and don't mind the slower turn times, let me know.

So, during Apocalypse's attack on New York, the PP kids are waiting for their mom to get home when the lights go out.  The youngest rainbow one goes searching for her mom who is probably trapped on the subway.  There, she comes across Pestilence who is killing travelers.  Katie wins out, but is first made sick by the Horseman.  As the rest of the kids look for her, Apocalypse's ship appears overhead and they rush to help.  They see Cyclops and Marvel Girl and one of the kids knocks Pestilence off her horse.  Katie grabs her to save her, but the destruction of the antenna forces her to drop the Horseman, killing Pestilence.  The Power Pack kids then follow ship and try to stop the descent by destroying one of the engines.  The ship topples over and lands on the shore.  They rush home just in time to greet their mom who walks in.

Anybody who knows me and what I read know that I absolutely hate the Power Pack series.  I think it's ridiculous (more-so than most comics) and poorly written and I can't believe the same woman who writes X-Factor and New Mutants writes this garbage.  The art is even worse.  Jon Bogdanove is the worst artist I have ever seen on a Marvel title, and that's saying a lot.

Still, this issue has a few redeeming qualities.  First of all, I like the tie in to X-Factor and how closely the two titles work together (which is due to the same author writing both).  It definitely feels like a continuation of the story and how a crossover should act.

But the bigger thing is Katie's reaction to Pestilence's death.  Yes, Pestilence was a villain, and yes she probably deserved to die, but Katie demonstrates the innocence and hope that most 6 year olds are filled with.  Death upsets her, as well it should.  She is devastated by it, even though it happened to someone evil.  I have a daughter that age and reading this now, I realize that Katie's reaction is absolutely perfect.  And for that, I commend Louise Simonson on a gem within a garbage heap.
Ship shows up overhead - such a great view!
Pestilence is taken down by a child???  Some horseman...
Katie shows a very real reaction to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment